The Coursework Completion System (CWCS) collects data specific to all courses completed by all students, grades K4-12. This new data collection facilitates the standardization of student coursework information across the state, provide data necessary to answer important questions at the local and state levels, and enable Wisconsin to meet federal requirements. It replaces the PI-1215 Course Offerings Report.
As recipients of federal State Fiscal Stabilization Funding in 2009, Wisconsin is required to capture this coursework data along with 11 other elements of the America Competes Act. Data from CWCS will enhance the Longitudinal Data System (LDS) and assist in the development of sound educational policies and improve the quality and significance of education research with the goal of improving student achievement.
Go to the CWCS Web Application
CWCS Phase 3 – CW1 Open For All Terms
Deadline: August 15th, 2013
For Current CWCS Users
- IMPORTANT: CWCS records must have matching records in the Wisconsin Student Number Locator System (WSLS). Failure to keep WSLS complete and current will cause CWCS file upload failure. It will not be possible to submit CWCS data online without matching WSLS records.
The new CWCS collection creates common data standards for all districts and schools; ensures high quality data by eliminating variations in how data are collected across various systems. When collected at the state level, student level data sets, including the CWCS can give smaller districts access to robust systems, through a partnership with DPI that they could not afford on their own. This ensures the same high level of service for all districts, schools and students.
For New CWCS Users
You must be individually authorized to use the CWCS. Having a Wisconsin User ID (WAMS ID) is necessary but does not in itself provide access to the CWCS Web application. For security and privacy reasons, access must be specifically authorized by your District Administrator (Superintendent) on behalf of your school board or by the Superintendent's appointed WSLS/ISES Administrator.
For further information about gaining access, see the Delegated Authority Web Application.
Using the Coursework Completion System (CWCS)
- Important Dates
- ISES CWCS Introduction and Key Points
- Preparing Your District for CWCS
- Project Abstract IV
- WSLS/ISES Correspondence
Upcoming Training Sessions
Course Codes (Elementary or Secondary)
- Matrix for CWCS Course Code Rigor Levels
- NCES Elementary School Course Code List (Elementary School Grade Levels K4 - 8)
- WI DPI Course Codes (Middle and High School Grade Levels 6 - 12)
- Account Recovery
- ACT College Codes for Wisconsin
- Frequently Asked Questions
- ESEA Data Site Map (CWCS Data Elements)
- ISES CWCS - Data Elements Guide
- ISES CWCS Phase 3 - New User Presentation; Handout Materials
- ISES CWCS Phase 3 - File Upload | Process Status | Results | Validation | Lock
- ISES CWCS Phase 3 - Validation Process; Handout Materials
- ISES CWCS User Guide
- Phase 1 and 2 - Training and Technical Support - Historical Materials Only
- Phone and Web-based Conferences - Historical Materials Only
- Wisconsin Educator License Lookup
- Alternative Education Program
- Dual Enrollment Credit
- 4-Year-Old Kindergarten (4K)
- 5 Year Old Kindergarten thru 5th Grade Level
- Graduation Equivalency Credit Indicator
- High School
- Middle/Junior High School
- Project Based Learning
- Special Education
- Virtual / Online & Distance Education
- World Language
Technical/Vendor Related Documentation
- Code Tables for Student (WS) and Course and Teacher (WCT) Data Files
- Interface Specification for CWCS Data Files (CSV) and (XML)
- Validation Messages
- ZIP File to Access File Checker(s) for Section, Course and Teacher Files (CSV) or (XML) Formats
- ZIP File to Access File Checker(s) for Student and Completion Files (CSV) or (XML) Formats
Submit questions, comments and suggestions about the CWCS or ISES to the 24x7 DPI Online Helpdesk Application or call 800-507-5744.