Locate/Assign File Transactions
These file transactions add new student enrollment records to the Wisconsin Student Number Locator System (WSLS) data base.
This transaction will be used (1) to help ensure that the WSNs stay with students as they move from school to school and district to district and (2) to assign new WSNs to students entering Wisconsin Public Schools. For information about students to be included in Locate/Assign transactions, see the Frequently Asked Questions. Locate/Assign transactions should be sent on a regular basis to keep the WSLS data current.
If as a result of a Locate/Assign transaction a student is located in the WSLS, then two situations can occur:
- A request is sent to the most recent school to confirm that the student has exited that school. After the exit is confirmed, then the WSN is returned to the requesting school.
- If an exit date already exists for a student in the most recent previous school, then the WSN is returned to the requesting school.
If a student is not located in the system, then a new WSN is assigned to the student and returned to the requesting school.
Exit/Update File Transactions
These file transactions change existing student enrollment records in the Wisconsin Student Number Locator System data base. They are necessary to add exit dates when students exit a school, when data need to be updated (e.g. legal name, local IDs), to correct errors (e.g. gender, race, birthdate, place of birth, spellings), and to add new directory information (e.g. guardians, student aliases, or any optional data not previously submitted). Note that correcting errors in school enrollment dates must be done on-line for each affected individual student so every effort should be made to insure that these dates are accurate at the time Locate/Assign WSN files are processed.
- Frequently Asked Questions - Technical Issues
- CSV Tips
- WSLS Record Warning, Possible Match, Error, and Failure Messages
- Vendor Certification for WSLS Transactions
- Student Enrollment Scenarios
- WSLS Automated Match Criteria (Excel)
- WSLS Web Application
- WSLS/ISES Data Elements
- ISES Interface Specifications
Submit questions, comments and suggestions about the WSLS or ISES to the 24x7 DPI Online Helpdesk Application or call 800-507-5744.