Data Submissions in the Department of Public Instruction is staffed by the Division for Libraries and Technology. Our mission is to collect and publish accurate information about children, schools, school districts, public libraries and education in Wisconsin. DPI uses online data applications to gather timely data from public school districts and schools, private schools, and non-district charter schools to meet the reporting requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).
DPI reports the submitted data to the public, parents, and researchers through web applications such as WINSS, printed reports, downloadable files, and other formats. State data is also aggregated and reported as required by law to the Department of Education's EDFacts system and into national data sets.
Data Submission Applications
We support the following data submission applications and systems:
- Individual Student Enrollment Sysytem (ISES)
- ISES Third Friday of September (CD)
- ISES October 1 Child Count (CC)
- ISES Year End (YE)
- ISES Discipline (DISC)
- ISES Coursework Completion System (CWCS)
- Wisconsin Student Number Locator System (WSLS)
- School District Directory
- PI-1202 Fall Staff Report
- Civil Rights Data Support
- School Performance Report (SPR)
- Post-secondary Enrollment
Location and Hours of Service
125 South Webster Street
GEF 3 Building
P.O. Box 7841
Madison, WI 53707-7841
Education Statistics Helpline 608-267-3166
Library Services 608-267-1289
DPI Help Desk 800-507-5744
Hours of operation: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, except state holidays.
Data Submission Master Schedule
For a list of reports and due dates of data collections, see the Data Submission and Reporting Schedule.
Label files in Excel format are now available at Label Files webpage.
Most data requests can be answered using a variety of reports on our Statistical Data and Reports page. This page contains information on public enrollments, non-public enrollments, school staff and salary data, the public school calendar, and program information (for example, block scheduling, kindergarten programs, etc.). If you need additional assistance, contact the Education Statistics Helpline at 608-267-3166.
Errata, or post-publication correction letters, are submitted by school districts after the final publication of the data report. When accessing a dataset, refer to the errata page to see if any errata were posted for your set of interest.
Submittal and Records Management
- Data Submittal Plan - The Data Submittal Plan has been developed to provide a convenient reference of forms to be collected from school districts during the year by the Department of Public Instruction (DPI). The Plan lists recurring forms that have been authorized for collection to meet the needs of programs administered by the department. One-time DPI surveys or questionnaires that arise due to special program needs or legislative mandate generally cannot be anticipated. Such non-recurring DPI forms are not included in the scope of the Plan.
- Public Records Management - Guidance for school districts and public libraries on records retention and the management of public records as well as information on public records maintained by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.